Thursday, July 08, 2004

The Barbie is a Tramp

Last night, I took Babygirl with me to Weight Watchers. She's been unusally clingy and even when my husband takes her for a ride in her stroller around the block, she whimpers "mama, mama" like a malfunctioning talking doll.

I told her we were going to a meeting and she said, "Meening!" I weighed in (lost another 1.7 pounds, woo-hoo) and then we found a seat at the very back. Normally, before I leave the house, I bring a Zip-loc bag of pretzels for her to snack on, but I purposely didn't bring her a snack because this is Weight Watchers, where we're all trying not to snack and who needs to hear the crunch of pretzels while they are trying to listen?

Apparently, the little boy with glasses in the row ahead of us didn't get that memo, however. One hand held a Jack-in-the-Box bag while the other clutched a handful of greasy fries. Obviously, he's being raised by wolves. Babygirl shouts, "Sies! Sies!" That would be "fries" in Babygirl-talk.

I try to distract her because the speaker has begun, but she will not be deterred. "SIES! SIES!"

We left the meeting and drove straight to McDonald's, where I bought fries (for us both) and a cheeseburger (for me). Don't worry, I saved points for it. I actually ordered a Happy Meal because it comes with a small drink and the portion of food is reasonable for a weight-watching person.

The toy inside was a Barbie figure. And not just a figure, but a figure, if you know what I mean. This Barbie is a tramp. She wears black platform shoes with heels which would be at least six inches in the real world. Her pants are low enough to show her belly button, which surprisingly enough is not pierced. She's wearing no bra under her one-shouldered shirt. Over this ensemble is a short, black faux-fur jacket. As always, her hair is bleached blond and long enough to reach her tiny little butt (no panty-lines--I suppose she's wearing a thong or going commando).

In my day, Barbie was not a tramp. Sure, she had a killer bod, but she did not dress like a hooker or a rap video chick. What executive decided that Street-Corner Barbie was appropriate for a Happy Meal? What's next? A Ron Jeremy action figure?

5 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

First time here and enjoyed your blog. I'll be back.

Congrats on the weight loss. I did WW for 15 months and lost 40 pounds. It came off soooo slow, but it kept coming off. Had to ignore those flex points to get the scale to go down.

It's good you're losing it while you're still young. It comes off much harder at my age - almost sixty.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Losin' said...

Hi! This is my first time visiting your blog (via a link from Ruby's site...livingbythespirit), and when I got to this post, I had to stop reading and comment....I can NOT believe what the Happy Meals come in even. We stopped for the first time ever at McD's with our 2 1/2 year old a couple of weeks ago. (BK is ususally where we get her nuggets if we get them out...) We asked for a toddler toy, so no Barbie, but the girls on the box were even annoying to me. The boys were all about action and sports, but the girls were half dressed, talking, shopping and blah! (IMHO) So just had to stop and say I can only imagine what that Barbie looked like. I pretty much decided we would not be going back to McD's for a LONG time just because of that box (if ever...we may just stay BK folks. LOL)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Losin' said...

P.S. Congrats on the weigh in...I do WW from home online, and I'm almost down 20 pounds....with more to go! Keep up the great work! :-)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

When I was growing up Barbie never wore a bra either!

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the loss at WW....getting fries after a meeting sounds like something I would do...(I know, you saved points for it.)

~Tina

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares