Friday, July 02, 2004

I Want A Saturday!

When I was in my twenties, I used to watch television's "thirtysomething" with love and devotion. I never missed an episode and I cried almost every week while watching the interaction between Hope and Michael or Nancy and Elliot. I broke down completely and wept when Gary died. (Ironically enough, that happened after my own dad had died and his name was, you guessed it, Gary.)

One episode was all about Hope's fervent wish for a "Saturday night," an old-fashioned date with her husband. All sorts of things go awry, of course.

I've been thirtysomething for quite some time now. Almost the maximum allowable time, actually. You can see my approaching expiration date if you look very closely under my bangs--why do you think I have bangs? And while I haven't experienced much of what I viewed as a dreamy-eyed twentysomething, right now, today, I am full of longing for a Saturday. Not a Saturday night, just a plain old Saturday.

I need a Saturday so I can sleep late, eat brunch at a cafe', run errands, stroll along the beach, chat with old friends on the phone, drive along a scenic highway, hike on a trail, or just get out of the house. The last time I got out of the house, I was shopping for a miracle, and the time has come for another break!

This Saturday--tomorrow--held great promise. Last Saturday, my husband had to literally go out to sea for a cermonial scattering of ashes.

He mentioned just awhile ago that he has plans for tomorrow. Who'd like to guess what he has on his agenda? ::::Big pause for you to ponder::::: That's right! A wedding!

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

Taking care of four kids within the walls of my insane asylum house.

Someday, my day will come. And I hope it's a Saturday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lot to do in one Saturday, but I definitely know the feeling...it's sort of like needing some time to reconnect with yourself.
Maureen

6:00 PM  
Blogger TV said...

Saturday would be a great day if you got to choose the day that you got to have 'your day'. If that makes sense. Unless it's a Saturday like you're going to have tomorrow. That type of day to have 'your day' come would be a total waste, and I think that you would deserve a refund.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares