Thursday, July 15, 2004

Anonymous Speaks!

Welll, looky here. Anonymous' real name is Melinda and she left me a wordy comment on yesterday's post. Although she says she's read "enough filth" here in the last two days, I thought I'd answer her questions anyway because I find those members of the Reading Incomprehension Club so amusing and endearing.

First, I want to remind my readers (all three of you, how pathetic, right?) that my original post about Michael Moore's movie was really just about going to the movies. I did not offer a political commentary, but just a description of my strange experience going to see this particular bit of propaganda as a Republican in my fiercely Democratic state.

Here's what Melinda had to say in response to my Open Letter.

Dear Mel,

Please accept my most sincere apology. How silly of me to think that your "blog" was for the expression of any and all opinions. Clearly it is only intended on for those opinions that mimic your own. Nice to have a posse of like-minded buddies to give you the old thumbs-up isn't it? Interesting though, the posse seems to only include such a precious few. I'm still not sure how I stumbled on you or why I felt compelled to respond. And yet here I am again.


Well, thank you, Melinda, for the apology. You are most certainly welcome to post whatever opinions you wish, but as this is Mel World, I am the Queen and therefore, I am right. But it was nice of you to stop by--I've had such fun responding to your comment from that post I made so long ago. Oh, and I don't actually have a posse. This is a blog, you know, not a rap video. Are you trying to insult me by pointing out my lack of readership? Oh, boy, that hurts. Ouch, ouch.

I said in my previous post: 1) Do the parents of the dead babies in Iraq deserve less respect that the survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attack?

Melinda says: You bet they do! My intention was to defend the concept of not showing the same gruesome photos again and again to incite panic in an effort to engender support for a baseless cause. And maybe, just maybe, those horrifying images of dead children might just wake up the masses. Uh hello-The United States purposely attacked Iraq and didn?t give a tiny rat's - - - about collateral damage.

Ah, there's the pesky problem of reading comprehension again. I asked if the parents of dead Iraqi babies deserve LESS respect that the relatives of the 9/11 victims. You said "You bet they do!" So, it doesn't matter to you if Michael Moore exploits the grief and loss of Iraqi people? You would find it abhorent if images of the 9/11 massacre were shown, yet you do not find similar photos of Iraqi nationals also abhorent. How strange. Do you refuse to see the double-standard here?

And um, how exactly do you know that the United States doesn't give a "rat's - - -" about collateral damage? Oh, that's right. You don't know.

In my previous post, I said: 2) Did I mention how I feel about our government's attack on Iraq? Do you think it's possible to be horrified by dead Iraqi civilians and horrified by Michael Moore's movie at the same time? ?

Melinda answers: True, you don't mention how you feel about this despicable war--perhaps you should have.

Well, my post about my experience going to a movie was not intended to be a dissertation on my political views. If you want to read a blog about political views, there are literally millions of them to choose from. This blog is a personal journal. And you are taking great offense to my viewpoint about propaganda a movie.

Melinda continues: I'd like to think the human mind has the capacity to think/believe 2 things at once. And yet you disprove that. Do you think it is possible to love one's country and be horrified by involvement in a war that makes no one safer, removes no threat to our nations sovereignty and only lines the pockets of the Bush's cabinet?

I disprove your theory about believing two things at one time how exactly? So, you do agree with me that I can be horrified about dead Iraqi civilians AND hate Michael Moore's ridiculous movie full of half-truths at the same time? Well, at least we have found common ground.

I absolutely think it's possible to love one's country and be horrified by the Iraqi war. Do I think that the war "makes no one safer, removes no threat to our nation's sovereignty and only lines the pockets of the Bush cabinet"? No, of course not. How simplistic. But if it makes it easier for you to deal with a world that you've painted in only black and white, please, feel free. Just don't call me narrow-minded.

I continued in my previous post: 3) How was I personally duped by our president, oh, All-Knowing Anonymous One?

Melinda says: The "all-knowing anonymous one" can only assume based on information provided. Maybe you weren't duped, although you give every indication that you support the murder of hundreds of children, women & men--many of who are your compatriots. Forgive my rush to judgment.

I forgive your rush to judgment. Oh wait, did you just say I support the murder of hundreds of children, women and men? Oh, yeah, you've got me all figured out now! Now, if one dares to criticize Michael Moore's movie, one supports the murder of hundreds of children, women and men. Oh yes, I see how that makes perfect logical sense.

My previous post ended: Thank your for your interest in my opinion. Next time, how about playing fair and signing your actual name? Otherwise, your opinion doesn't count.

And by the way, saying something out loud does not make it true. Neither does publishing something in a book. You might want to make a note of that for future reference.

Melinda says: Interesting closing statement. Safe to say this would apply to the trash you suggest we all read by Christopher Hitchens. Guess what I did. I?m actually rather well read. And in "my opinion" he is no different than Michael Moore. Stating his opinion, supporting his cause. We choose to believe what jives with our own value structure. You have yours and I have mine and never the 2 shall meet.

I actually believe in absolute truth, so I'll have to disagree with you here. There is truth and then, there is Fahrenheit 9/11.

Melinda says: Lest you marginalize my opinion as invalid by lack of a name, allow me to introduce myself, Melinda from not so far from where you live. No need to get your dander up. I won't be visiting or responding anytime soon. I've had enough filth for 2 days.
Oh yes one last thing. I took a moment to cruise "about you". Do you think your adopted children will grow up and appreciate being differentiated from their "homegrown" siblings? Gosh shame on you again!


Nice to meet you. Now, Melinda, do you really think that featuring your comments as post in my blog is "marginalizing" your opinion? I could have deleted your comments immediately after I read them, but guess what? I didn't! If anything marginalizes your comments, it would be your name-calling and your insults to the Queen of this blog (yeah, that would be me). Didn't your mother teach you any manners?

For the record, my "dander" is not up. I laughed my head off when I read your comments and have been cracking my husband up for two days now, reciting your words to him. My original post was meant to bait as well as entertain. Glad to see it worked. Sorry you won't be back. Just pull that door shut behind you, will you? Thanks.

Oh, and thank you so much for your kind concern about my "adopted children." Oh dear, you're right! Shame on me! I should be keeping their adoption a secret from them! I do call them "Hey, Adopted TwinBoyB" and "Hey, Adopted TwinBoyA" here around the house. Do you think maybe I should stop doing that? Should I let them sleep in the house? They seem so comfortable in the shed, after all. We tell them all the time that we could send them back to the orphanage. You really think that's too harsh?

Well, thanks again for stopping by, Melinda. It's been fun.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

Thumbs up!

Will you let me join your posse?

5:44 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Me too, I want to join!! LOL-
I thing you're right on.
What an angry, yucky person. I have no problem with her expressing her opinions and all, but, WHOAAAA...throwing the darts about your children?? That's just pathetically mean and spiteful.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Melodee said...

How about that. I got me a posse. ;) Thanks, gals!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Smoov said...

Aren't liberals fun?

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wonder why your original post threatened her so much? What would cause her to respond and attack like that? People will always disagree, but isn't there a way to do it without the name calling and low blows? I mean to stoop so LOW as to involve your children....that is nothing less than ignorant. Kudos to you and your smart,level headed responses. You rock! ~Sherry B., Florida branch Posse, member since 2004.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

What I really don't understand is what she found here that she deemed "filth". My definition must be different from hers, I guess.

And Stacy, yes liberals are fun! But we are not all raving lunatics. :)

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're pushing all kinds of buttons...I know you love doing that...Look at all these comments!

~Tina

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares