Saturday, April 22, 2006

More Proof That My Kids Are Having a Happy Childhood

 Today, my mother and I forced the children delighted the children with a trip to Tacoma to watch the Daffodil Parade. Parking spot? Perfect. Transit train? Convenient. Spot on the curb? Delightful. Weather? Chilly, but sunny. Daffodils? Yellow. Fingers? Cold.

I think everyone had fun, despite the grumbling from the teenagers ("I am NOT going!" "What? We have to waste a whole Saturday?!"). My three year old insisted on wearing a cute summer outfit, shorts and sleeveless top. I said, "Hey, it might be cold. You should wear long sleeves and long pants like me. See?" and she replied, "That's okay. I'll just wear this jacket." She tucked her legs up and into her jacket, which is possible when you are a lanky three-year old.

My mother, ever resourceful, brought a can of Pringles for each child. They thought this was a very fine idea, indeed. (They did not eat all the chips, though.) My mom said, "I brought a can for everyone so there would be no fighting."

When I was a very young child, my grandmother and my mother would take us to the parade each year. My mother said today that she remembers us in strollers and under umbrellas. This year, we continue the tradition, though the kids won't understand the importance of that for many years to come when they drag their reluctant-I'd-rather-watch-television-and-dig-holes-in-the-backyard kids to the same parade. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

What better day than today for a parade? Glad you had a lovely one!

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, next year we'll have to go to the Daffodil Parade. I hadn't heard of it. It sounds like quite the event! Glad you had good weather for it.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

Glad you had a lovely parade. The kids and I love parades, but the only time they have them around here is at Christmas time.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Love your collage! Sounds like a lovely family tradition!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Deb Heller said...

Oooooh, you saw the parade?!? My mom said the weather was gorgeous for the parade... of course, she didn't attend. But it sounds like y'all are finally having some pretty weather, if a bit on the chill side.

:-)

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares