Sunday, April 23, 2006

Boys (and one girl) in the Backyard


Like shepherds without sheep, they wander the back yard, walking with staff-like sticks in hand, discussing important matters. I can't hear them. I would love to eavesdrop, but when I open the door, they stop and stare at me.

This afternoon, the sun shone and even my daughter scampered outside to play in the warmth--in her Carter's pajamas with the zipper and built-in feet and floral-patterned boots. She holds her own with the boys, scooting along on their skateboards and swerving to avoid swinging sticks. I sat indoors, feeling the pressure of Pacific Northwest guilt . . . for when the sun shines here, it is mandatory to go outside immediately, for you never know when the next thirty-day stretch of rain might begin.

But I stayed indoors anyway, savoring the semi-quiet.

My husband is home again, but will leave in less than forty-eight hours for a reunion, of sorts, with his best college buddies. He will have a fantastic time and I will be fine, knowing that he owes me and next spring, I'll be enjoying paybacks.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I know that guilt that you are speaking of. I even got some color this weekend working in my yard. (BLUE SKIES!!) Although I did change out of my feety-pajamas. hehe.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I know that guilt that you are speaking of. I even got some color this weekend working in my yard. (BLUE SKIES!!) Although I did change out of my feety-pajamas. hehe.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Leslee said...

Unlike Emma I didn't change out of my feety-pajamas---they're too comfortable!

I'm like you though, sometimes you have to weigh the benifit of some sunshine and a few moments of solitude. Solitude usually wins for me, but skin cancer runs highly in my family to it tips the scales, most of the time.

11:43 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

I'm feeling some of that Northwest guilt myself...I have oodles of stuff outside calling my name...weeds to pull, perennials to transplant, a rocking chair in the sun on the back porch to sit and read in, haha! Hey, I did a Monday Meme today...dunno if you want to participate or not but it's there if you do. Our house was the gathering place in our neighborhood when our kids were little...always loved the sounds of kids playing!! At least when they were at MY house I knew what they were up to! Ain't motherhood grand?!? :-)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Payback between loved ones is delicious - sometimes a little mysterious, don't you think?

"I wonder what she'll do? It's always much bigger and better than whatever it was I did for her..."

1:02 PM  
Blogger Shalee said...

Love those payback times... I'll be owing my husband after next week. But isn't it wonderful having a mate with which you can do that?

Hang in there lady!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

I just love to hear what your daughter is wearing - always gives me a chuckle - she is her own person and I think that's cool. I saw these 2 little girls (sisters) in Target last week with their mom,and they had both done their hair with gel - top all slicked back - boots and dresses. So cute!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Leslee said...

PS I LOVE the tulips!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares