Sunday, October 02, 2005

A Substitute Post for the One My Cable Company Lost

Last night, at midnight, I sat here composing a post while half-watching Steve Carrell on Saturday Night Live. I had just clicked "publish" when the television picture turned into static. A moment later, it occurred to me that my computer is connected to the same cable as my television.

Which explains why last night's post vanished.

Well, it wasn't that exciting anyway. Yesterday, my husband worked all day. I lingered in bed until 10:00 a.m., which is a feat in itself when you consider that I have a three year old who woke up early and spent her morning begging me for goldfish crackers and donuts and jumping on my back. Somehow, I kept drifing back to sleep, over and over until I was shocked into full consciousness when she began to scream.

Her brother had come up to ask me if Dad was getting donuts. ("No," he's working.) Then he saw his sister in the bathroom, so he peeked in and grabbed the yo-yo she's been playing with for a day or so. She responded with an outraged sob and was so hysterical that I immediately checked for blood, bones poking through her skin, and missing teeth. She was fine, just furious and her clothes were on backwards.

When my husband returned from preaching the funeral and working on his sermon at 5:30 p.m., I exited stage left. I attempted to run two errands (both places closed), bought one Christmas present at Toys R Us, then went to a movie which was as sweet, cute and substantial as a cupcake. (Any guesses?)

Afterwards, I went to the grocery store. The sheer number of fellow shoppers surprised me. I even had to wait in line--on a Saturday night at 10:30 p.m.! I was home by 11:00 p.m.

And that's how I spent my Saturday.

I have been sentenced to spend this afternoon at Chuck E Cheese's. My son's entire second-grade class was invited to a birthday party. I wonder if I could be completely anti-social if I pretended not to speak English?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon?

5:39 PM  
Blogger tab said...

hope your chuckecheese is a lot cleaner than ours. We went once and it was beyond disgusting--dh went to the restroom and came out and said we are leaving NOW---then we all scrubbed our hands. Not surprisingly a couple years later it came out as one of the top 10 worst places to eat in our newspaper due to health code violations.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Don't mess with a girl and her Yo-Yo!

http://4herstory.blogspot.com/2005/02/from-wayback-machine.html

11:47 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Chuck E. Cheese's isn't much fun since they got rid of the mechanical band.
Talk about sensory overload.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Teaching that girl to get her own goldfish crackers and donuts will earn you a bit more uninterrupted snooze time! Or better yet, make her brothers get them for her. Aren't older brothers supposed to be good for things like that?

Surely though there will be a price to be paid eventually. Personally, I think it could be worth it.

Suzanne

6:39 PM  
Blogger LDR said...

Who really eats at Chuck E Cheese anyway?! I always thought it was an adult/chaperone's job to dole out the tokens and help cash in skee-ball tickets?!

Just think. An entire building filled with greasy pizza smells, screaming kids, video games, loud noise and an obnoxious giant Rat. Uh huh... it's a kids mecca alright!

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares