Tuesday, September 27, 2005

True Confession

I confess that I started drinking early today. It's true. I popped open a can and stacked an iceberg's worth of ice into a large purple cup. Normally, I try not to drink before noon. But today? Today, I needed a drink.

You would, too, if you were here, surrounded by the scattered toys that the 3-year olds dump and toss and inundated by the twins who either can't or won't stop talking. At one point, one 12-year old boy traipsed into the living room to bug the other 12-year old boy. A great ruckus ensued and one boy came racing into the family room, hollering and giggling, until he was tackled by his brother.

I sat here at the computer, clicking my way through the K12 website, ignoring the attack.

Sometimes, pain is a good teacher. The troublemaker ended up on the floor, wailing for awhile until he realized he had no audience. Then he went and got his vocabulary book.

As for me, my cup is almost drained of the Diet Dr. Pepper. The kitchen table is a mess of old newspapers, schoolbooks and dirty bowls. My daughter hides behind the patio curtains wearing only her tights with the puppy on the back because her dress just dragged into the toilet. The 4-month baby girl ought to arrive any second. Good thing she is immobile, still, because my floor is definitely not baby-safe.

I do, however, have enough caffeine coursing through my veins to keep me going until naptime. And that's A Good Thing.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I know all about living life the caffiene way! It truly is a good thing!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have a drinking problem too, and it usually starts early in the day. Diet Coke is my poison. My true shame is that I have no children on whom to blame my degradation -- only Cuppa and The Rocks.

5:05 PM  
Blogger ellipsis said...

Mel-

My personal favorite is diet A&W root beer. Like heaven, baby, only with bubbles.

Cheers!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

I am nothing w/o my coffee, and I don't even have to go through all of that yet!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm exhausted from reading that! A little Diet Dr. Pepper is definitely necessary on a day like that.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Feeble Knees said...

hey. Everyone needs a little vice now and then. If that's the worst you got, I'm not even a little against that.

This is the girl who went on a sugary soda bender when she had to put her kitty down. Had a non-diet soda with lunch that very afternoon (don't anyone breathe a word of this to my obstetrician!!)

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that is why I start every morning with 1hazelnut decaf mixed with belgian chocolate nut (high test!)

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares