Saturday, September 17, 2005

Saturday Night Live

The past two nights, I've slept all night without waking to cough up a lung. And yet, I'm still so tired.

That doesn't matter, though. No rest for the weary. This morning, my husband took our 7-year old to play soccer while I took my daughter and her 12-year old brothers to the photographer's studio at 9:30 a.m. Every year, I make sure the kids get a professional picture taken and every year, my daughter has cried. She is incredibly shy and has a 10 foot circle of personal space which people continually violate.

This year was no different. The photographer took only seven photographs and did manage to capture one fleeting smile. By the end, though, she was curled on my lap (my daughter, not the photographer), crying. (I'll post a picture tomorrow when I'm not so weary.)

I realized when we pulled into the parking lot that my daughter thought she would be photographed with Piglet--and not the stuffed Piglet that I brought along, but the Piglet from Disney World. I realized this when she said, "I want to see Winnie-the-Pooh." I said, "There's no Winnie-the-Pooh," and then I thought, oh, oh, wait a second. She thinks when I said Piglet, I meant BIG Piglet.

How disappointing that must have been for her.

I spent a couple of hours at the church this afternoon setting up my classroom where I'll be teaching preschoolers during Sunday School. My daughter was oh-so-helpful during this effort.

She had a birthday party to attend this afternoon, so we were gone until 5:30 p.m. When she went to bed at 7:30 p.m., I went back to the church to finish up. By the time I returned home, it was 10:00 p.m. and I didn't sit down because I knew I would not get up again. I washed dishes, then peeled potatoes and set up the bread machine so we'll have fresh bread for lunch. We'll have roast (in the crockpot) and mashed potatoes for lunch after church tomorrow.

Too often, I run the kids through McDonald's drive-in after church on Sundays because it's very difficult to cook when you are not in your kitchen.

I love to sleep. And yet, I stay up too late. I'll be sorry in the morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gem said...

I have that problem too! I hate coming home exhausted around 12:30 or 1 after a full morning of singing on praise team or teaching preschoolers to an empty kitchen (or worse, dirty kitchen - yikes!) and then have to make lunch for a starving family. I want nothing more than to be taken out for lunch, while hubby wants nothing more than to get home and have a few hours of relaxation before he has to get to another job. Oh, the balancing act we perform!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares