Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Outsmarted

I outsmarted my daughter. I gave her a choice: "Would you like to nap in your bed or mommy's bed?" She chose my bed.

I plumped my pillow, curled up, pulled the afghan to my chin and closed my eyes. She said, "I am going to sit up." I opened one eye to see her sitting like a little princess on a purple pillow. Soon, she stretched out on her back and "read" her book for a few long minutes. I rolled over so I would not be an audience and soon she snuggled against my back and was still. Then I stifled a coughing fit. You know how the more you try to not cough, the more your throat tickles and tortures you until you at least clear your throat? Yeah. That was fun. But still, she slept.

Ha! I tricked her into napping two days in a row!

When she woke up two hours later, she came down the stairs, hair tousled, and stomped one foot and said, "I don't want to go night-night!"

I know how she feels. I never want to go night-night, either, even if I am dead tired, because when I wake up, the cycle starts all over again.

Our history curriculum arrived, so we did the first lesson today. TwinBoyB did his typically poor-quality work, but unfortunately for him, this is not public school and I noticed and immediately requested that he do the work correctly and completely. He's been cutting corners and flying under the radar for so long that I'm sure it's painful for him to do what he is expected to do.

I hope that he soon realizes that doing the work right the first time is easier than half-heartedly doing it, throwing an emotional fit, crying and then having to do it right. I'm growing weary of his dramatics. At this very moment he is shouting, "OH, MY TOE!" as if the toe has been amputated.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

SMART Mom, getting tricky like that!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Marcia Peterson said...

It's quite satisfying, tricking children and husbands into doing what you want them to do, isn't it?

5:16 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Just remember paybacks can be hell... and there will be paybacks.

But meanwhile, good work, Mom. :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger G~ said...

Hmph! I didn't realize it, but this is what I used to do w/my youngest boy. He never outright TOLD me he didn't want to nap, though. I'd just let him get in my bed when I saw he was getting tired and I'd curl up and even snore (but in real life, I DON'T SNORE) and soon he'd be fast asleep and awake in a MUCH more tolerable attitude!

Great that you got her to nap!! I can imagine very well how much YOU needed her nap! :)

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares