Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Uh-oh

Baby has been lethargic all day, which in a peculiar way has been delightful. She just wanted to lean her head on my shoulder and sit on my lap. She napped twice. She wanted to go outside, but didn't want to bother with shoes and a jacket, so I wrapped her in an afghan and we sat in the backyard for a bit. She just sat. All of this is completely out of character for my busy girl.

She's running a fever, the first real fever of her life. I'm not sure how high it is since I don't own a thermometer, but I will probably borrow one tomorrow to make sure her brain isn't boiling. She's not been crying or fussing, so I don't think anything really hurts. She's warmish, but not burning up.

I put her to bed at 7 p.m., as usual. At 8:45 p.m., she was crying, so I went in and nursed her and then realized she was breathing kind of fast and then remembered that fast breathing isn't good, so I counted how many breaths per minute. Thirty-five. When I put her back down, I consulted my book and under 40 is okay. Apparently, fast respirations help bring down a fever.

I'm not treating it with medication yet. We'll see what tomorrow brings. The last time I gave her ibuprofen, she threw it up all over me.

I am still hacking up a lung, which is ever so pleasant.

If I drank, this would be a good time for something strong. But I don't, so I just ate too much chocolate and now I'll go upstairs to listen and hope that she sleeps all night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares