Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Woe is Me

I think my allergies are acting up or I have a virus or maybe an inoperable tumor or even a rare, yet disfiguring disease. I am weary when I wake up and drag through the days. My tissue box is my new best friend and the children seem oblivious to my discomfort.

For instance, their twin friend (age 9) just came over (minus his twin brother, who is ill). They went straight out the patio door and began messing with the wasp nest in the far corner of the yard. I have told my boys repeatedly to leave it alone. I need to spray those stinging insects before someone gets stung. The boys cannot leave them alone.

So, I actually said this to the visiting twin and my boys: "Do not go near that nest! Do not squirt it, throw things at it or breathe on it! What are you going to do next? Get stung by bees and then set my whole back yard on fire?" (This was in reference to the fact that earlier this summer, my boys and their twin friends actually started a fire in the twins' back yard, using a magnifying glass.)

Twin friend just eyed me as if I had recently escaped from the local mental ward.

Now they are all in the boys' room hollering and wrestling and being boy-like. Babygirl and DaycareKid are still sleeping. But not for long.

YoungestBoy is still wearing his zipper-pajamas, the warm, fuzzy, winter kind. It's almost 3:00 p.m., so I guess he's not getting dressed, even though I told him to more than once.

The church secretary called a few hours ago. She was really trying to track down my husband--his cell phone was not on--and I think she also wanted to tell me that a church member had died. (She revels in the drama of bad news and of telling other people's bad news to anyone who will listen.) The secretary said that it took five minutes to figure out who was hysterical on the other end of the telephone line and then she ended up with only rudimentary information. The church lady was at her daughter's apartment and her daughter had died. I'm thinking the daughter was about my age and she'd had health issues, but still. No one really thinks that one day they will go visit their daughter's apartment and find her lifeless body.

(Well, no one except me, full of gloom and doom.)

My throat hurts and my teeth ache and the roof of my mouth feel like it was stabbed with one of those cute, tiny forks you use to scrape crab meat out of the claws. Ouch.

Oh, and if you're keeping track, you are aware that this type of woefulness comes to me in regular four week intervals. I'm so predictable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Hang in there.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

My husband and I went to visit his grandma - 93 this Spring. She was living alone, independent and in good health. We live out of town so we hadn't seen her new place and she had already lived there like five years -- she always came to visit us.

That afternoon, we chatted like crazy, went out to lunch and had a great time. Then she paused during her conversation, and simply, if you can -- DIED. She died right there in front of us in mid-speech!! It was so shocking yet it was peaceful. It was so surreal. We were two hours from home and had to call all the family.

You never know what life is going to bring you, do you? Whew...I am so thankful for the peace she gave me that day because I was so freighted of death before that experience. In the end, I think we'd all like to be blessed like her. I think she was a lucky woman!

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, it is three days later now...I sure hope you are feeling better!

I just have to say that people who really get into the drama and the bad news, scare me!

~Tina

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares